Thoughts on My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done?

Sunday, January 9, 2011 5:54 PM By Simon

-Michael Shannon, despite the Oscar nomination, remains the most under appreciated actor in Hollywood. Okay? Okay.

-Also, Udo Kier is the greatest actorly remnant of the German New Wave. Like, this is what he said in an interview with the AV Club, about an IMDb error:

AVC: You’re listed on IMDb in Moscow On The Hudson as “Gay Man On Street (uncredited).” What was that all about?

UK: I cannot answer you, because it’s totally unknown to me what you just asked me, and also very boring.

-A police procedural used as a tool for the twisted vision of Herzog and, to a lesser extent, Lynch. I mean, it's a warped combination of their trademarks: the terror beneath suburbia, love of nature, descent into madness, non-regional animals in unusual places, Grace Zabrinski.

-Honestly, I had to do homework while watching this, and before I can actually give a good review, I need to watch it properly. So...yeah.

5 comments:

Amber said...

I love Michael Shannon. Looooooooove him. He's a great actor and oddly attractive. Did you know that he had a small role in "Groundhog Day"?

January 10, 2011 at 7:55 PM
Simon said...

Alexa: As well it should.

Amber: No, but I might have to suck up my aversion to Andie MacDowell and watch that shit now.

January 10, 2011 at 8:04 PM
Courtney Small said...

Shannon was great in Revolutionary Road and on Boardwalk Empire. I will have to had this film to the rental list.

January 12, 2011 at 3:10 PM
Frank said...

That was a great interview with Keir. That inspired me to buy two out of print Criterions he was in that were produced by Andy Warhol called "Flesh of Frankenstein" (where he plays Dr. Frankenstein) and "Blood for Dracula" (where he of course plays Dracula). So that cost me about $125.

Anywho, I've been wanting to see this film forever.

January 14, 2011 at 8:35 AM
Simon said...

CS: Yes, you will. Brilliantly weird.

Frank: Why would you do that? $125 for two damn movies...

January 18, 2011 at 8:29 PM